From "Sharma, Siddharth" <Siddharth.Sha...@Staples.com>
Subject Breakdown of networking tasks
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:46:40 GMT
Hi

I am using HttpClient 3.0 to talk to a vendor using XML over Http.
I have a need to gather the following information per request:

1. Time taken to lookup the vendor (DNS time)
2. Time taken to connect
3. Time taken for first byte download
4. Time taken for entire xml response download

Is there a way to do this?
#1 and #2, I am clueless.

For #3, I was pondering writing a class inheriting from PostMethod and
overriding
processStatusLine(HttpState state, HttpConnection conn)
and capturing the time taken there. Of course it won't be exactly first
byte, but close. Any ideas?

#4: I pass the response stream to a DOM parser, which in turn consumes it.
So I am not sure how to plug in gathering code here.

Thanks in advance
Sidd