From "leung cc" <dksle...@hotmail.com>
Subject applet needing https access to a servlet that requires a client certificate
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 04:18:04 GMT
Sorry about duplicating this post here if you are also subscribed to
httpclient-dev - I didn't realize this group is the more appropriate one.
Anyway, here's my question:

I've an applet that needs to access a servlet (well, actually a jsp page)
that requires a client
certificate. I've had success with Sun's standard URL + HttpURLConnection
classes but since
I'm getting "connection timed out: connect" problems I am seeking to set
the timeout value
longer. After some searching, it seemed to that there's no way to do such a
thing with Sun's
classes and that I should perhaps try Apache's httpclient if I must set the
timeout value
and so I here I am.

Needless to say, I stumped on a problem right away, which I kind of
expected because I suspected
httpclient wouldn't be able to use the browser's https connection without
me doing some tricky
things.

So, what should I do? Surely somebody in here must have used httpclient in
an applet to do
some https access, right?

I don't think the message I got (on the java plugin console) would be of
much use, but let
me quote a bit anyway:

java.net.SocketException: Default SSL context init failed: failed to
decrypt safe contents
entry: javax.crypto.BadPaddingException: Given final block not properly
padded
at javax.net.ssl.DefaultSSLSocketFactory.createSocket(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.SSLProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(SSLProtocolSocketFactory.java:81)

at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.SSLProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(SSLProtocolSocketFactory.java:126)

at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:706)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:386)

at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:170)

at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:396)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:324)