From Patrick Lightbody <pligh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lockup in XFire
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:52:49 GMT
Oleg,
Thanks for the info.

1) I'm looking in to what XFire is doing. Where in HttpClient would
that be set (in case, I need to debug this myself).

2) For the server side, I'm using XFire's HTTP Server, which is
really just Jetty. Do you know if Jetty is supposed to support the
Expect header?

Also, in general, would you expect any firewall or VMware network
routing might cause issues? The environment has a firewall installed
and the connecting is going from the Linux host to a Windows VM
image, so it is going over a virtual network set up by VMware.

Patrick Lightbody
Autoriginate, Inc.
503-488-5402
http://www.autoriginate.com
patrick@autoriginate.com

"Intelligent testing made convenient"

On Aug 7, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 14:40 -0700, Patrick Lightbody wrote:
>> Oleg,
>> Sure, I understand that the issue is due to a native timeout - but
>> the question is: why?
>>

> (1) The only reason for a native socket read to block indefinitely is
> the SO_TIMEOUT value set to zero. Does XFire explicitly set the socket
> timeout value to a positive value?
>
> (2) org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase writeRequest
> 100 (continue) read timeout. Resume sending the request
>
> This message is logged when the target server fails to properly
> respond
> to the "Expect: 100-continue" handshake. When the handshake is
> activated
> HttpClient sends the request header containing the "Expect:
> 100-continue" directive prior to sending the request body and expects
> the target server to respond with status code 100 indicating that
> it is
> okay to proceed with sending the request content. Apparently the
> server
> has issues with the "Expect: 100-continue" handshake or simply
> locks up
> while processing the request header.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Oleg
>
>> Like I reported in my initial email, subsequent requests in other
>> threads (coming from test.jsp) work fine.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> Patrick Lightbody
>> Autoriginate, Inc.
>> 503-488-5402
>> http://www.autoriginate.com
>> patrick@autoriginate.com
>>
>> "Intelligent testing made convenient"

>>> Patrick,
>>> As you can see the thread gets blocked in the native socket read
>>> method,
>>> so this is very unlikely to be a threading dead-lock in the
>>> HttpClient
>>> code. Most likely the socket read operation blocks indefinitely