hc-httpclient-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Patrick Lightbody <pligh...@gmail.com>
Subject Lockup in XFire
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:29:17 GMT
I've tried using XFire 1.1.1 and 1.2-RC, combined with HttpClient 3.0  
and 3.1-alpha1. I get the same result, outlined below, which causes a  
complete lockup of a thread. I can't figure out what would cause this.

When making a call via XFire (ClientService.getAppLog()), the current  
thread locks up just after printing the following out in the logs:

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase writeRequest
100 (continue) read timeout. Resume sending the request

I see that this log comes from an InterruptedIOException here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/xref/org/apache/commons/ 
httpclient/HttpMethodBase.html#2004

The stack dump of the locked thread is:

"Thread-62" daemon prio=1 tid=0x082602c0 nid=0x51ca runnable  
[0x79926000..0x79926e30]
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:129)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java: 
218)
        at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java: 
235)
        - locked <0x830328c8> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpParser.readRawLine 
(HttpParser.java:77)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpParser.readLine 
(HttpParser.java:105)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.readLine 
(HttpConnection.java:1115)
        at  
org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager 
$HttpConnectionAdapter.readLine 
(MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.java:1373)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readStatusLine 
(HttpMethodBase.java:1832)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.readResponse 
(HttpMethodBase.java:1590)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute 
(HttpMethodBase.java:995)
        at  
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry 
(HttpMethodDirector.java:397)
        at  
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod 
(HttpMethodDirector.java:170)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod 
(HttpClient.java:396)
        at  
org.codehaus.xfire.transport.http.CommonsHttpMessageSender.send 
(CommonsHttpMessageSender.java:226)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.transport.http.HttpChannel.sendViaClient 
(HttpChannel.java:118)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.transport.http.HttpChannel.send 
(HttpChannel.java:48)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.handler.OutMessageSender.invoke 
(OutMessageSender.java:26)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.handler.HandlerPipeline.invoke 
(HandlerPipeline.java:130)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.Invocation.invoke 
(Invocation.java:75)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.Client.invoke(Client.java:335)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.XFireProxy.handleRequest 
(XFireProxy.java:77)
        at org.codehaus.xfire.client.XFireProxy.invoke 
(XFireProxy.java:57)
        at $Proxy5.getAppLog(Unknown Source)
        at com.hostedqa.model.TestContextImpl.dispose 
(TestContextImpl.java:83)
        at com.hostedqa.model.Suite.playback(Suite.java:85)
        at com.hostedqa.service.PlaybackService.runTest 
(PlaybackService.java:83)
        at com.hostedqa.service.PlaybackService.playSuite 
(PlaybackService.java:48)
        at com.hostedqa.action.project.suite.PlayAction$1.run 
(PlayAction.java:25)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

What's very weird is that I am able to drop a JSP (test.jsp) that  
makes the exact same call and it completes just fine. This tells me  
that there is something environmental about _this_ thread that causes  
HttpClient to do this. The call alone is not the issue.

Also, I might add that the XFire call never makes it to the other end  
(ClientServiceImpl), as I have a print line there that never gets  
invoked. I ran a stack dump on the other side as well, and nothing  
stood out (though it is possible part of the request made it through  
to XFire's Servlet, and then broke and was no longer in the active  
thread dump by the time I forced the dump).

Finally, this request is running over HTTP. I'd really like to figure  
out:

1) What that log from HttpMethodBase.writeRequest() is all about
2) Why there would be a perpetual "pause" in the native method, but  
no actual visible deadlock.
3) How to fix this :)

Patrick

Patrick Lightbody
Autoriginate, Inc.
503-488-5402
http://www.autoriginate.com
patrick@autoriginate.com

"Intelligent testing made convenient"



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: httpclient-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: httpclient-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message