From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bug in 3.0.1 HttpParser.readRawLine?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:39:15 GMT
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 08:35 -0700, Robert Bowen wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I looked in the bug database for this but couldn't find anything.
>
> We are calling objHttp.executeMethod() with method type Post. A strange is happening
the first time we change the info being sent in out HTML form -- it fails with a "server failed
to respond" error. The second time we send that same form data, it works, always.

> I debugged it until I found that in HttpParser.readRawLine(), the following while:
>
> public static byte[] readRawLine(InputStream inputStream)
>
>    while ((ch = inputStream.read()) >= 0) {
>    }
>
> fails after the first iteration, and ch is equal to '-1', which causes HttpClient to
throw an Exception. As I said, it only happens the first time you send the form, and it happens
99.9% of the time on the first try.

This is a server side problem. The server is not meant to drop the
connection without returning a valid HTTP response

> We just did a "what the heck" test with version 3.1 and it seems to be fixed, but we
are hesitant to install an alpha.jar on the client's machine.

There's been no code changes in HttpParser class between 3.0 and
3.1-alpha1

> Anyone a) seen this error b) know for sure if it's fixed in 3.1 c) know of any other
fix and d) when 3.1 will be final? (on the JIRA page it says it IS final already ...)

The only thing that makes HttpClient 3.1 ALPHA is a new cookie policy
(RFC2965), whose API we cannot be frozen at this point. The rest of the
code base is at least as stable as HttpClient 3.0.1

Oleg