From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Http client 3.0: Setting proxy via command line options
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:06:45 GMT
Hello Jürgen,

> Wouldn´t it be a nice feature, if via some command line options the proxy
> can be set from outside, without the need of involving application
> programming.

No it wouldn't. We have one architecture to configure or parameterize
all of HttpClient. Introducing some extra tricks for some of the
parameters would pollute the API. The people whose favorite parameter
is not available as system property would ask us to include that too,
and in the end we'd have a second parameterization architecture that
needs to be maintained, documented, and kept in sync. People that use
HttpClient to get rid of HttpURLConnection peculiarities would hate us
for having to write code that *prevents* the system properties from
taking effect. Access to system properties is subject to permissions,
people using HttpClient in environments with J2EE security would hate
us for having to change their security policies. And so on.

cheers,
  Roland

PS: car broke down, used cars are insanely expensive...
    I'm in a bad mood. Never mind.