From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about SocketException: connection reset
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:18:22 GMT
On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 20:45 +0800, neil al wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a beginner on httpclient and I would like to know what is the cause of
> a SocketException? Is it okay to trap the SocketException on my
> HttpMethodRetryHandler and retry the connection again?

SocketException indicates there is a problem with the network
connection. The exact nature of the problem can be determined by the
exception subtype or the error message.

Generally it is safe to retry GET methods and unsafe to retry POST and
PUT methods unless special precautions are taken. For detailed
discussion of method recovery strategies see

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/exception-handling.html#HTTP%20transport%20safety

Hope this helps

Oleg