From "Dean Del Ponte" <dean.delpo...@cornerstone.net>
Subject RE: Spam??:Re: HttpClient - License Questions
Date Wed, 10 May 2006 01:36:44 GMT
Oleg,

Thank you for much for your assistance.  I appreciate the help.

- Dean
-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Tue 5/9/2006 4:52 PM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Spam??:Re: HttpClient - License Questions

Dean Del Ponte wrote:
> Hello, and thank you in advance for your assistance.
>
> I am currently working at a large company and wish to use HttpClient in one of our projects.
 This company is generally against the use of open source and says it will take 6 months before
the lawyers can okay the use of HttpClient within the their application.

> Are their any higher ranking members out there who would respond to the following questions?

Hi Dean,

I am neither a lawyer nor do I qualify as a "higher ranking member" of
Apache Software Foundation. I can tell you what I know about the subject
from my personal experience as a developer who's been frequently using
various open source products to develop commercial applications. For
more definitive answers to questions regarding legal aspects of using
Apache licensed software please send your inquiries to
|legal-discuss@apache.org|

>  I'm hoping that your responses will help to persuade management to allow development
to continue.  The FAQs on the site haven't been enough to convince management it's okay to
use HttpClient because many of the FAQs refer back to the license... which means the lawyers
need to get involved.

> 1.  We want to use HttpClient within our application.  We sell our application for lots
of money.  Can we do this... what's the catch?

No catch. One is very much welcome and encouraged to use Apache licensed
code in commercial products.
> 2.  Can we modify HttpClient and sell it with our application?  Again... what's the catch?

Again, no catch. One is permitted to modify and re-sell software derived
from an Apache licensed product without having to open-source the
modified source code or contribute changes back to the original project.
Essentially the only thing that Apache license requires is that
commercial entities selling commercial products that include or are
based on Apache licensed code acknowledge such fact and supply a copy of
Apache license to the recipients of the product.

Hope this helps

Oleg