From Solomon Thumma <solomonthu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Intermittent SSL handshake failure issue.
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 14:21:07 GMT
Thanks Oleg for the reply.

  I will try setting connect timeout along with read timeout and see if that fixes the problem.

  Just want to clarify this. Currently we are on jdk1.3.1 (WAS5.0.2.10) and we are using
  HttpClient 3.0 (which is supposed on jdk1.4.x). Just wondering whether there will be any
impact on the app for this combination.

  Also I will try to purse with IBM regarding this SSL handshake failure issue.

  Do you have any other suggestions to over come this issue. Increasing the read timeout (5
secs to 10secs) will be any help ?

  -Solomon

Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
  On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 08:04 -0700, Solomon Thumma wrote:
> We are seeing the below intermittent SSL handshake failure error while trying to read
data from an external site. Primarily we see this error when the other site is having some
response issues.

> We ever this error occurs the http call hangs for couple of minutes. The 5 seconds read
time out doesn't seems to work.

Solomon,

The socket read timeout does not apply here. Make sure the connect
timeout is set.

As to the SSL handshake failure, it appears to be specific to the IBM
implementation of JSSE. You should probably seek assistance through
official IBM support channels, unless someone on this list happens to
have in-depth knowledge of the IBMJSSE implementation.

Oleg

> We are using httpclient3.0 and Web sphere 5.0.2.10 and IBMJSSE (1.0.3) for SSL communication.

> Could any one provide me some insight into this issue?
>
> -Solomon
>
> Exception Trace.
> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.net.SocketException: SSL handshake failure
> at com.ibm.sslite.m.c(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.sslite.m.f(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.sslite.m.a(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.sslite.n.(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.sslite.be.a(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.sslite.be.(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.jsse.bh.a(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.jsse.b.a(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
> at com.ibm.jsse.b.write(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java(Inlined Compiled
Code))
> at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java(Compiled Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.writeRequestBody(EntityEnclosingMethod.java(Compiled
Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.java(Compiled
Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java(Compiled
Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java(Compiled
Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java(Compiled
Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java(Compiled Code))
> at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java(Inlined Compiled
Code))