From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Intermittent SSL handshake failure issue.
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 17:04:44 GMT
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 07:21 -0700, Solomon Thumma wrote:
> Thanks Oleg for the reply.
>
>   I will try setting connect timeout along with read timeout and see if that fixes the
problem.

>   Just want to clarify this. Currently we are on jdk1.3.1 (WAS5.0.2.10) and we are using

>   HttpClient 3.0 (which is supposed on jdk1.4.x). Just wondering whether there will be
any impact on the app for this combination.

>   Also I will try to purse with IBM regarding this SSL handshake failure issue.
>
>   Do you have any other suggestions to over come this issue. Increasing the read timeout
(5 secs to 10secs) will be any help ?

It might. At the same time I cannot say anything for sure as, quite
frankly, I do not know what causes the problem is in the first place.

You may want to enable SSL trace output [*] in order to get more details
on what goes wrong during the SSL handshake.

Oleg

[*] -Djavax.net.debug=ssl,handshake

>   -Solomon
>

> Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>   On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 08:04 -0700, Solomon Thumma wrote:
> > We are seeing the below intermittent SSL handshake failure error while trying to
read data from an external site. Primarily we see this error when the other site is having
some response issues.

> > We ever this error occurs the http call hangs for couple of minutes. The 5 seconds
read time out doesn't seems to work.

> Solomon,
>
> The socket read timeout does not apply here. Make sure the connect
> timeout is set.
>
> As to the SSL handshake failure, it appears to be specific to the IBM
> implementation of JSSE. You should probably seek assistance through
> official IBM support channels, unless someone on this list happens to
> have in-depth knowledge of the IBMJSSE implementation.
>
> Oleg
>

> > We are using httpclient3.0 and Web sphere 5.0.2.10 and IBMJSSE (1.0.3) for SSL communication.

> > Could any one provide me some insight into this issue?
> >
> > -Solomon
> >
> > Exception Trace.
> > java.lang.RuntimeException: java.net.SocketException: SSL handshake failure
> > at com.ibm.sslite.m.c(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.sslite.m.f(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.sslite.m.a(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.sslite.n.(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.sslite.be.a(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.sslite.be.(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.jsse.bh.a(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.jsse.b.a(Unknown Source)(Inlined Compiled Code)
> > at com.ibm.jsse.b.write(Unknown Source)(Compiled Code)
> > at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java(Inlined Compiled
Code))
> > at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java(Compiled Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.writeRequestBody(EntityEnclosingMethod.java(Compiled
Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpMethodBase.java(Compiled
Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpMethodBase.java(Compiled
Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java(Compiled
Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java(Compiled
Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java(Compiled
Code))
> > at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java(Inlined
Compiled Code))