From SZÜCS Balazs <Balazs.Szu...@wave-solutions.com>
Subject http requests linger in tomcat too long
Date Mon, 03 Apr 2006 16:34:47 GMT
Hello!

We are seeing two phenomena with the http-client (3.0rc4) to tomcat (4.1)
http connector communication.

On the client side we have a MultitheadedConnectionManager with plenty of
sockets, and an active IdleConnectorCheckerThread. The client sends HTTP1.1
requests with session cookies, and ist supposed to act like a web browser.
We made low-level sniffs that are recorded with 'snoop' on a sun F15K
running Solaris 9 with a SUNW,pci-ce network card.

(1)

A new connection is created and a request sent. The request _sometimes_
seems to linger for about 303 seconds (it is often a very simple request for
a gif, but there are others too, it is not significant), only then replies
back to the client. Between request and response there is absolutely no
network traffic between the two parties, the request just hangs in the
tomcat (which has lots of free worker threads, and does not have a heavy
load at all).

(2)

A new connection is created und used only for a single request, and
terminated after the SO timeout (330sec in our case). The request is beeing
transfered, but does not seem to be handled by the servlet engine. Only
(some seconds) after the connection is terminated by the client SO timeout
(leaving it in a half open state)  the servlet response is transmitted back
to the http client (of course there beeing ignored). The client replies with
a RST flag.

Again, it is proved (snoop) that the request was fully transmitted to the
server in no time, and there is no TCP/IP communication for the next 330
seconds.

Maybe there are some of you, whom these phenomena seem familiar. It could be
a tomcat bug as well, but we habe absolutely no idea, why _some_ of the
requests hang.

If you wish, I can provide the mentioned parts of the network traffic,
recorded between client and server. I also have full stack dumps of both
client and server, but I didn't want to post all at once.

I thank you for your suggestions in advance!

Balazs