From "Jeffrey Porter" <PORTE...@WMGMAIL.wmg.warwick.ac.uk>
Subject Tips for first timers...
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:25:19 GMT
I'd like to share some tips for first times with the HTTP Client API.

1:

HTTP Client is a great API. Sometimes you need to persist a little, but
in the end it will save you a lot of code/time.

2:

If you're not sure what is being sent between your browser & server,
then you will not have a chance.

Quote: "After all it is all about bits and bytes transmitted across the
wire - Oleg"

Try this program out if you're not sure what headers/cookies etc are
being sent.

http://www.ieinspector.com/

It also good to confirm what you are sending/getting back.

3:

Check the settings like...

client.getParams().setBooleanParameter(HttpMethodParams.SINGLE_COOKIE_HE
ADER, true);

It forces all request cookies into one request header, which it seems IE
does, but Firefox doesn't (from my testing).

So if you're having a problem with signing into a website, then try
setting this to true.

4:

Set up "AuthenticationPreemptive", will save you a lot of hassle. Its
worth looking into.

I know that's not a lot of tips, but I hope they will help someone else
out.

Finally, a big thanks to Oleg & Roland.

Jeff.