From "Jesper Sahner" <jespersah...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Basic http-question
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:24:35 GMT
Hi Chris,

Thanx for your answer.

>From: Christopher L Merrill <chris@webperformance.com>
>To: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: Basic http-question
>Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:26:01 -0500
>
>Jesper Sahner wrote:
>>My question is if it is possible - within the "http-framework" - to ask
>>the server to return an answer when it has the answer instead of
>>periodically asking for an answer which is basically waste of time.
>
>HTTP is inherently a request/response protocol.  You could issue a
>request and have server wait to respond until the desired data is
>available.
>But the socket would eventually timeout and you'd have to re-issue the
>request.  Additionally, it needlessly ties up resources on the server.

I wonder how e.g. a mail-system like Hotmail works. If you are logged in you
get a pop-up message every time a new message is received. Is that pop-up
message the result of your request to the mail-server (guess not) or the
mail-server just telling you that a new message is sent.

I wonder if something similar is possible with HTTP: You make an initial
request telling the server to give you a notice every time a certain event
occurs without making any further requests?

A solution like this would be much more effective that repeatedly requesting
for new events that hasn't occured.

But as I read your answer, HTTP is a request/response protocol, so this is
not possible.