From "Jeff Roberts" <j...@rcshome.com>
Subject (more info) 2.0.2 - maxConnectionsPerHost and maxTotalConnections
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:54:39 GMT

J. Jeff Roberts
jeff@rcshome.com
(859) 552-5806

----- Original Message -----
From: 'Jeff Roberts' <jeff@rcshome.com>
To: httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:18:30
Subject: Fwd: 2.0.2 - maxConnectionsPerHost and maxTotalConnections

I've picked up some code that everyone suddenly disavows all knowledge of...you know how that
goes. :-)

We are creating a MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager, setting maxConnectionsPerHost to 8 and
maxTotalConnections to 8 * 10.  That object is passed to the constructor for HttpClient.
We then receive requests, which we route to an Apache server, which is load balancing to 1
or more Tomcats via mod_jk.

I am told that someone fiddled around and found the 8/80 setting works well if we're "balancing"
over only 1 Tomcat, but that they think we should multiply one or both of the properties by
the number of Tomcats as we add servers.  No one seems to know where the "* 10" in the call
to maxTotalConnections came from, or whether we still need it if we multiply the 8 by the
number of Tomcats.

1. If any of that made sense, does anyone have a clue if we're setting these parameters correctly,
and if either the 8 or the "* 10" makes any sense?

2. Does it sound right to multiply one or both by the number of Tomcats?

3. Can I call setMaxConnectionsPerHost() and setMaxTotalConnections() at any time?  While
requests are cranking through, in other words?  Can I call them both with a larger and a smaller
number than the current setting without problems, as Tomcats are added or removed?

Any info much appreciated.

---
J. Jeff Roberts
jeff@rcshome.com