From "Satsangi, Vivek " <Vivek.Satsa...@xerox.com>
Subject MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager allows multiple socket operations?
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:17:40 GMT
Folks, we are using the MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager in Http
Client 2.0.2, in a servlet within the SunOne webserver.

Occasionally, we get an error like the following:

27 Jan 2006 12:39:48,599 [service-j2ee-6] ERROR getei  - Failed do I/O
correctly connecting to 'https://wdc-300
-1csm.[ rest of URL deleted for security reasons ]
java.net.SocketException: Operation already in progress
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(DashoA6275)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.<init>(DashoA6275)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(DashoA627
5)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.SSLProtocolSocketFactory.createSo
cket(SSLProtocolSocketFactor
y.java:93)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:65
2)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager$HttpCon
nectionAdapter.open(MultiThr
eadedHttpConnectionManager.java:1170)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:6
28)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:4
97)
        at
com.xerox.xdotcom.applications.getei.GetEIServlet.handleEIRequest(GetEIS
ervlet.java:267)
        at
com.xerox.xdotcom.applications.getei.GetEIServlet.doGet(GetEIServlet.jav
a:125)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:787)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:908)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invokeServletService(Stand
ardWrapperValve.java:771)
        at
e.java:322)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
09)
        at
e.java:212)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
09)
        at
:209)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
09)
        at
com.iplanet.ias.web.connector.nsapi.NSAPIProcessor.process(NSAPIProcesso
r.java:161)
        at
com.iplanet.ias.web.WebContainer.service(WebContainer.java:580)

Could some kind soul advise us on why the socket operation might be
failing since it is already in progress? And what might we do about it?

Thanks for your kind guidance,

Vivek