From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Usage of HttpConnection v. HttpClient
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 16:14:12 GMT
Hi sebb,

>>I've looked at the SimpleConnectionManager docs, but I can't seem to
>>determine what happens if a single thread makes requests to different
>>host-port combinations without closing them in between.
>>
>>getConnection[WithTimeout] says that it blocks until a connection is
>>available, but there is no clue as to what "available" means.
>>
>>Also, there does not appear to be a shutdown() method. This suggests
>>that the thread will need to keep track of all its connections.
>>

> I've now had a look at the code.
>
> SimpleConnectionManager only has a single connection, and does not
> seem to block (unless closing the connection can do so).
>
> At present we use a single connection per host per thread - there may
> be several different host:port combinations in a single thread.
>
> So I guess we could use a separate instance of HttpClient per "thread-host".

I don't understand what you are trying to do. HttpClient is synchronous:
a thread will block until the response for a request has been received.
If your thread has to connect to different hosts, it should still be
connected to a single host (or not at all) at any point in time. Hence,
the single connection "managed" by the SimpleConnectionManager can be
used for one host:port after another.

What am I missing?

cheers,
  Roland