From Oliver Köll <...@newbase.de>
Subject Cancelling HttpMethods
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:55:14 GMT
Hi,

Happy New Year to all, and congratulations for the 3.0 release.

I'm working on a GUI program, where HttpMethods are executed on the
request of the user. As e.g. in a Webbrowser, I would like to enable
unpatient users to cancel requests that take too long.

I currently don't see any possibilities to cancel a running request from
  a separate thread, though. Neither HttpMethod.abort() nor
Thread.interrupt() have any effect. The only remaining option appears to
be pushing pending requests in the background and letting them
terminate/timeout silently. I'd be interested in hearing how other
people are dealing with this issue...

While thinking about this problem, I'm having problems understanding the
purpose of the HttpMethod.abort() method. It clearly isn't intended for
use from separate threads because no synchronization is performed. But
if abort() should only be called from the executing thread, I don't see
the point - why not just stop processing a request and call
releaseConnection() immediately?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Oliver Köll