From Rob Manning <Robert.Mann...@collabraspace.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient version
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:58:46 GMT
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:29:12AM -0500, Rob Manning wrote:
>

>>Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

>>>Rob,
>>>No, there is not. Why would you want such method in the first place?
>>>

>>For troubleshooting our applets in the field.  Our product uses an
>>applet and HttpClient to connect to
>>the server that the applet is being served from.  When we are trying to
>>troubleshoot an issue, we
>>could use the product version to connote the version of HttpClient that
>>was shipped with the product.
>>However, it would be nice to just print it out in the debug log.(I
>>suppose we could hard-code the
>>version into our product, but that just seems like the wrong thing to
>>do.  Most software I've used has
>>some class that indicates the version of the app or library.  It also
>>makes runtime dependency checking
>>possible)
>>
>>Rob
>>

>Rob,
>You can use the user-agent header for that end. The User-Agent header
>set by HttpClient per default always includes the release version.

Ah yes, I've seen that before but forgot about it.   That will suite my
needs.

>However, if you own the deployment process why do not you simply deploy
>the desired version of HttpClient?

We do.  However, in the last version of our product, we shipped 3.0rc2.
In this version that we've
been testing we'll ship 3.0rc4 (because that is what we started testing
with).  In the next version we'll
probably shipp 3.0 (final).  The customer knows our product number, not
necessarily the HttpClient
version.  It's great that we can turn on debugging and get the
HttpClient version from the User-Agent
header being sent to the server.  Thanks for reminding me!

Rob