From JYu...@aol.com
Subject Problem using HttpClient to access information on web site
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:46:00 GMT
I am writing a personal Java application that will allow me to view
financial balances posted on a web site.  To view the site with my
Firefox browser, I do the following:

1) I paste the URL: https://isc.nwservicecenter.com/iApp/isc/cmd/Login
into my "URL bar"

2) The browser takes me to the Logon page

3)  I enter my "username" and "password" and either click on a "Go" button or
press  the Enter key on my keyboard.

4) The browser takes me to
https://isc.nwservicecenter.com/iApp/isc/cmd/AppLogic+IAAcctSummary
where I view my account summary

Firefox handles all cookies automatically.

I have written a Java application, modeled after the  HttpClientTutorial,
that I think should do the same thing, but, so far at  least, it does not.  The
program seems able to connect with the URL in  step 1).  It also seems to send
my "username" and "password" using a  POST.  However, the printout of the
responseBody shows the html code  of the Login page rather than the page showing
the account summary in step  4).  The commented code listing of my HttpClient
application is as  follows.

import org.apache.commons.httpclient.*;
import  org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.*;
import  org.apache.commons.httpclient.cookie.*;
import java.io.*;

public class HttpClientTutorial2 {

private static  String url =
"_https://isc.nwservicecenter.com/iApp/isc/cmd/Login_ (https://isc.nwservicecenter.com/iApp/isc/cmd/Login)
";

//  Create an instance of HttpClient.
HttpClient client = new  HttpClient();
//Set Cookie Policy
HttpMethod  cookieMethod = new GetMethod();
cookieMethod.getParams().setCookiePolicy("BROWSER_COMPATIBLE");

//  Create a PostMethod method instance.

 PostMethod method = new  PostMethod(url);
NameValuePair[]  data = {
new  NameValuePair("username",  "xxxxxxx"),
new  NameValuePair("password",  "yyyyyy")
};

try {
//  Execute the method.
int statusCode =  client.executeMethod(method);

      if (statusCode != HttpStatus.SC_OK)  {
System.err.println("Method  failed: " + method.getStatusLine());
}

      // Read the response  body.
byte[] responseBody =  method.getResponseBody();

      // Deal with the  response.
System.out.println(new  String(responseBody));

    } catch (IOException e)  {
System.err.println("Failed to download  file.");
e.printStackTrace();
}
finally  {
// Release the  connection.