From "Ingo Meyer" <dj-sl...@gmx.net>
Subject german umlauts öüä
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:18:50 GMT
Hi there,

I have a problem loading a page from www.autoscout24.de.
It is a german page where one can view used car ads.

While i load them with a windows computer everthing is fine but running the
programm
under linux it will not work.
I recovered the problem to the fact that they send a result with these
german signs called
"Umlaut" (ö,ü,ä) and not the corrsponding entity &uuml; or &auml;.
On linux these page shows my in the eclipse debugger just a question-mark
even when
i just look to the response string at runtime, so without safing them to hd.

It has something to do with the encoding, i create the string reading the
charset from the
header of the response and do:

new String (bytes, charSet);

but on these page there is no charset given.

You will find the page when you search for a a brand, lets say "Alfa Romeo"
and on the
result page you find the "next page"-link, named "nächste". This link is my
problem...

Thanks for help in advance

Ingo Meyer