From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Does HttpClient create connections on fly
Date Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:01:27 GMT
Hi Alex,

> If I have multiple threads trying to make http
> connections - all to the same server - should I just
> create a new URLConnection for each request (and let
> URLConnection manage the resources) or is it would it
> better to explicitly manage the pool using HttpClient?

This is really the wrong forum to get an unbiased answer
to this question. HttpClient was started because some
people thought that URLConnection is just not capable to
deal with more than trivial HTTP communication. I think
that everyone in the HttpClient community shares this view,
to varying degrees.

Only you are in a position to assess whether your problem
is trivial enough to handle it with URLConnection, or
whether you need the added flexibility of HttpClient.
One thing is sure: if you start with URLConnection and
later realize that you need more, then you will have to
rewrite the application to use HttpClient. If the
requirements for your application are likely to grow,
I recommend you start with HttpClient to be prepared
for the future.

cheers,
  Roland