From "Williams, Kevin C" <kevin.c.willia...@boeing.com>
Subject RVP protocol
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:00:49 GMT
Hi, I'm attempting to create an opensource RVP library which is used by
Microsoft's "Messenger" IM product (version 1, not version 2 which uses
SIP) for exchange server (Not to be mistaken for MSN Messenger).

Upon inspection with a ethereal, I see that the login request is HTTP
and looks like:

SUBSCRIBE /instmsg/local/im.domain.com/instmsg/aliases/my.email
HTTP/1.1\r\n
Subscription-Lifetime: 14400\r\n
Notification-Type: progma/notify\r\n
Call-Back: http://x.x.x.x:nnnn\r\n
RVP-Notifications-Version: 0.2\r\n
Host: theIMhost\r\n
RVP-From-Principal: http://im.domain.com/instmsg/aliases/my.email\r\n
Authorization: NTLM [LONG ALPHA STRING HERE]\r\n
\r\n

This is consistent with the MSDN whitepaper about the protocol at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmes2k
/html/rvp.asp

I'm new to the HTTP Client suite and the http protocol in general and
recently read up on the httpclient documentation.  It looks as though
this 'SUBSCRIBE' method I described above is a custom method designed by
microsoft.  And so ofcourse the httpclient does not directly support
this method.  However, my guess is that I can implement the
request-entity interface to create this method.

Can you tell me if I'm on the write track and maybe give me some
pointers.  A short example would help also.  I'm also wondering about
the NTLM auth and probably need tips about including that in the method.
(I read that the httpclient does support NTLM auth).

Thanks in advance,
Kevin