From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Socket management
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:09:31 GMT
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 11:33:33AM -0600, Steven Terrell wrote:
> I am using HttpClient 3.0 RC3 to talk to a servlet on Tomcat (5.5.9 I
> think.) My application is using the MultiThreadedConnectionManager. There is
> a 5 second timeout for each request made to Tomcat. My code calls
> PostMethod.releaseConnection in the finally clause, as the examples do. I am
> interested in understanding what happens with the socket (client and server
> side) when that timeout value is reached. Particularly, what happens if the
> Tomcat servlet still tries to send a response even though I have timed out?

Steven,

I believe a socket timeout exception will leave the socket in pending
close state, thus rendering it unusable for any further I/O operations.

HttpClient will always close the connection, which threw an IOException
(such as SocketTimeoutException). The server socket in its turn will end
up throwing a SocketException: "Software caused connection abort: socket
write error" as a result of this

Oleg