From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can we use NTLM with HTTPS ?
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:29:25 GMT
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:31:43AM +0530, Kr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a web service that uses .NET Framework + NTLM Authentication.
> I have a web service client that uses  AXIS 1.2 Final generated stubs.
> I have configured org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender in
> the client-config.wsdd
> to set the NTLM credentials on the stubs and successfully can consume
> the service.
>
> Now the service is going to be implemented on HTTPS. My question is
> can I use NTLM authentication with https.

Yes, you can. In my opinion, though, NTLM + SSL does not provide any advantages in terms of
security compared to Basic + SSL.

Will setting the https
> system properties like java.protocol.handler.pkgs,
> javax.net.ssl.trustStore, javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword etc. in my
> client suffice.

Yes, it will. The java.protocol.handler.pkgs property has not effect on
HttpClient, though. You may still want to consider implementing a custom
secure protocol socket factory, should you need a more fine-grained
control over the SSL context properties. See HttpClient SSL guide for
details

Can we use
> org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender for all this purpose
> or are there any known issues with AXIS CommonsHTTPSender ( or since
> CommonsHTTPSender uses HTTPClient API) with HTTPS ?

None I know of, but you should direct this question to the Axis folks

Hope this helps somewhat

Oleg

Does anybody have