From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ContentLengthInputStream and non-persistent connections
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:09:09 GMT
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:22:17PM -0400, John D'Ausilio wrote:
> So .. my company makes a portal for network management apps. One of the
> vendors we support has a product which implements a broken webserver ..
> it stuffs an extra CRLF after the header (so instead of 2, there's 3).
> THis is clearly in violation of HTTP1.1, but getting the vendor to fix
> his product is virtually impossible.
>
> While analyzing the problem, it occurs to us that it might be sensible,
> in the case of a non-persistent connection (and with "strict" turned
> off) to arrange httpclient to read to end-of-stream instead of
> content-length (which would fix our problem in a less hacky way then the
> other alternatives).
>
> If this doesn't cause too much heartache for the dev team I'd be happy
> to submit a patch .. if someone has a real issue I'd like to hear why.

John,

There are hundreds if not thousands of CGI scripts out there that
produce broken HTTP responses. All of them are broken in all sorts of
wonderful ways. We cannot be possibly be expected to provide workarounds
for all of them in the stock version of HttpClient. Consider extending
relevant HttpMethod classes and overriding the #readResponseBody method
in order to implement an application specific workaround for the problem

Oleg