From Kr <babloos...@gmail.com>
Subject "Connection timed out" with HttpClient.
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 07:31:25 GMT
Hi,

My goal is to consume a web service using Apache AXIS. This web
service uses Integrated Windows Authentication.

I use IE have configured Proxy server address and Proxy server port
using IE's Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab -> LAN
Settings -> Proxy serer.

If type the webservice endpoint address of the form
http://239.271.380.120/serveme/WS.asmx in my browser then I see in my
browser "You are not authorized to view this page .. HTTP Error 401.2
- Unauthorized: Access is denied due to server configuration. Internet
Information Services (IIS)" but there is another client in another
network who is getting a login dialog to enter domain\\username and
password when he types the web service endpoint address in the
browser. This makes me think that either the so called another client
is in the same domain as the web service provider and I am not.

Anway, I tried to write standalone HttpClient (I use
commons-httpclient-3.0-rc3,  commons-codec-1.3, commons-logging-1.0.4)
program NTCredentialsClient.java like below :

[CODE]
NTCredentialsClient.java
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.*;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.*;
import org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.*;

public class NTCredentialsClient {
		HttpClient client = new HttpClient();

		NTCredentials credentials = new NTCredentials("user1", "password1",
"MYDESKTOP", "domain1");

		AuthScope authScope = new AuthScope("20.222.335.37", 3128);

		client.getState().setCredentials(authScope, credentials);
		//client.getState().setCredentials(AuthScope.ANY, credentials);

		GetMethod get = new GetMethod("http://239.271.380.120/serveme/WS.asmx");
		get.setDoAuthentication(true);

		try {
			int status = client.executeMethod(get);
			System.out.println(status);

			get.getResponseBodyAsStream();
			// print the status and response
			 System.out.println(status + "\n" + get.getResponseBodyAsString());
		}
		catch (Exception e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}
		finally {
			get.releaseConnection();
		}
	}
}
[/CODE]

In the above program, user1, password1, domain1 are details given by
my service provider and
MYDESKTOP is my local machine name from which I am running the above
program. 20.222.335.37
is my proxy server address and 3128 is my proxy server port. Now when
I run the above
program I get this exception :

[CODE]
Aug 16, 2005 12:43:45 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
INFO: I/O exception caught when processing request: Connection timed
out: connect
Aug 16, 2005 12:43:46 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
INFO: Retrying request
Aug 16, 2005 12:44:11 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
INFO: I/O exception caught when processing request: Connection timed
out: connect
Aug 16, 2005 12:44:11 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
INFO: Retrying request
Aug 16, 2005 12:44:37 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
INFO: I/O exception caught when processing request: Connection timed
out: connect
Aug 16, 2005 12:44:37 PM
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector executeWithRetry
INFO: Retrying request
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:79)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.protocol.DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultProtocolSocketFactory.java:121)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:704)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMethodDirector.java:382)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMethodDirector.java:168)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:396)
        at org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:324)
        at NTCredentialsClient.main(NTCredentialsClient.java:28)
[/CODE]

Can anyone please tell me whether the configurations I have made in my
above client program are correct or is there  anything that I am
overlooking. Also, in the above program for AuthScope constructor, do
I need to pass  web service server adderss and port OR my local proxy
address and local proxy port as constructor arguments ?
Please suggest ...

Thanks & Regards,
Kr.