From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Versioning problem(?): Cactus 1.4.1 with HttpClient V2.0 vs V3.0
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 06:02:39 GMT
Hello Jaya,

the major version change from 2.0 to 3.0 indicates that the
API is *not* compatible. Due to the history of the HttpClient
code base, the API is full of things we'd like to get rid of.
If you have a look at the new 4.0 code base, you'll notice
that the API will get a complete overhaul that is going to
break literally everything.
>From 2.0 to 3.0 the changes are less dramatic, but even
small changes break binary compatibility. You can try to
re-compile the cactus code base against HC 3.0 to see
whether it is compatible on a source code level. I guess
it isn't, but the required changes should be minor.

You should talk to the cactus guys about their roadmap
regarding an upgrade to HC 3.0. Since HC 3.0 is not yet
a stable release, they will probably not upgrade right away.
But we hope to have a stable 3.0 release shortly, and they
may consider upgrading immediately after. Until then,
you have to recompile and maybe modify the cactus code
to work with 3.0.

hope that helps,
  Roland

"Jaya Christina B." <bjaya@mahindrabt.com>
07.07.2005 12:30
Please respond to
"HttpClient User Discussion"

<httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Versioning problem(?): Cactus 1.4.1 with HttpClient V2.0 vs V3.0

Thanks Roland for your response

Apologies if I havent been clear enough earlier
I am trying to list the problem I am facing when using HttpClient
- I am using Cactus 1.1.4 which is uses HttpClient V2.0
- I would like to use HttpClient3.0 for my own classes & so want to
upgrade
HttpClient 2.0 to 3.0
- The problem is (aleast it seems like it) Cactus is not compatible with
HttpClient 3.0 & works only with HttpClient 2.0

I thought since we are upgrading our httpclient version from 2.0 to 3.0,
we
would not be facing such a problem.
I understand that 3.0's API would be different, but wouldn't it be
additional changes & not really changes to existing APIs?
So, shouldn't Cactus still continue to work even if I am upgrading
HttpClient 2.0 to 3.0?

So, if you could please let me know if we could use httpclient 3.0 with
cactus or not, it would be much useful.
Or, if this question should be directed to Cactus user's list, please
could
you let me know.

Thanks & regards,
Jaya.