From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: setRequestBody
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:38:16 GMT
Hello Madeleine,

Madeleine Wright <m.wright@ru.ac.za> wrote on 10.07.2005 10:42:21:

> The "request body" is familiar in all contexts.  "request entity" is a
> bit less clear??
>
> But I expect there were good reasons for the change.
>
> Madeleine

Yes there were. The relevant spec is RFC 2616, which uses both terms
for different things. The request body is what goes over the line to
the server, but the request entity is what the application actually
wants to send or receive. The difference is the transfer encoding
that might transparently be applied to the request entity in order
to form the request body. For example, the chunked encoding or some
kind of compression could be applied.
Also it is preferable to handle the different kinds of entities in
their own class hierarchy and have the request/response classes deal
with only one interface. Sorry for the additional typing you have to
perform, but from a design perspective the change is definitely an
improvement :-)

cheers,
  Roland