From Gábor SEBESTYÉN <sega...@gmail.com>
Subject HttpClient not good for applets
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2005 08:57:52 GMT
Hi,

Please help me finding a solution to my dead-end situation. I've
built up a whole chat client applet upon Jakarta HttpClient library.
It works perfectly except applet has to communicate through proxy.
This is the point where all my conception falled apart and I have to
replace HttpClient to another lib because HttpClient does not support
proxy communication as Java plugin requires.

AFAIK HttpClient uses direct sockets which is excellent for
standalone apps but not for applets. Applets should use java.net.URL
and open connections via that to be able to use java plugin feature.
Applets aren't allowed to connect directly to a proxy server (it
violates applet security). Instead if an applet connect via
java.net.URL java plugin will be smart to transparently handle
connection proxied as set in browser.

This feature is very missing from HttpClient - or I haven't found yet.

Please help me what to do now. Should I drop whole HttpClient and
write a whole new one in 15 minutes or there are ways to fix this.
Thanks in advance,

     Gábor

"Earth is a beta site."