From "bashiro" <bash...@myway.com>
Subject RE: [HttpClient] Trying To Connect SSL
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:46:57 GMT
 Hello,  Thanks for the thorough explaination. I really appreciate that.The certificate is
Equifax Secure certificate, as I checked from IE.Do you mean I should import this certificate
to my class path or into the"cacerts" file as you pointed out ?  Thanks a lotbashiro--- On
Mon 07/18, &lt; Jon.Andrews@eu.nabgroup.com &gt; wrote:
From: [mailto: Jon.Andrews@eu.nabgroup.com]To: httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.orgDate: Mon,
18 Jul 2005 09:08:25 +0100Subject: RE: [HttpClient] Trying To Connect SSLWhat type of certificate
is it? a versign type 3 for example or a thwaite cert? You can cehck this by saving the cert
offered to you when you browseto the URL in question in a web browser - in IE double click
the padlockat bottom... then view and see if it is a "common"certificate supplied byone of
the typical vendors (thwaite, verisign etc as earlier). If standardcert, then this is probably
shipped with the runtime that you are using...it will be in the "cacerts" file, can't remember
of the top of my headwhere it is. The problem you got is that you got the certificate in thecacert
key store, but it is old and/or doen't match that which ispresented by the service your client
is trying to connect to. You willhave to remove the outdated cert and replace with the one
which is nowbeing presented to you. By doing this
you are basically telling thecacerts key store that you implicitly trust this cert prior to
SLLconnect.I also believe (if you are using WAS) that there is patch to bring thecacerts keys
up to date as the ones shipped with base install expired inMarch or sometime ago, can't remember.I
had the same issue, and once I updated the certificate in question inthekey store, everything
started to work again.on my windoze PC, the cacerts I am using is @ C:ProgramFilesJavaj2re1.4.2_05libsecurityHope
this helps.Jon"Bashiro" 16/07/2005 09:12Please respond to "HttpClient User Discussion"To:
"HttpClient User Discussion" cc:Subject: RE: [HttpClient] Trying To Connect SSLThanks for
the links.As you asked;&gt; If you can say what problems u are facing specifically.. It
wud beeasier&gt; to&gt; help out :)I have always been using Innovation HttpClient
in my application. And thenI was recommended by friends to try Commons HttpClient. Now I have
notbeen using SSL. I always connect unsecured (http).

But then I decided toadd the SSL (https) function to the application. I have read the JSSE
andyet do not know where to beguin.I tried couple of times to connect through SSL with Commons
HttpClientbut then I get "Certificate not verified or not valid". Then I readsomewhere on
ththe net to connect with ordinary browser and then downloadthe key at the button of the browser
by exporting it into my class path.But that doesn't hehelp either.Am I to contact the owner
of the server for a certificate or what ?Thanks in advancebashiro&gt; You can have a look
at this&gt; http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/authentication.html&gt; http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html&gt;&gt;
There are some examples listed in this page.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; HTH&gt; Jaya.&gt;&gt;&gt;
-----Original Message-----&gt; From: bashiro [mailto:bashiro@myway.com]&gt; Sent:
Saturday, July 16, 2005 11:36 AM&gt; To: httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org&gt; Subject:
[HttpClient] Trying To
Connect SSL&gt;&gt;&gt; Hello Everybody,&gt;&gt; I am trying to conect
to a server through SSL. But without success.&gt;&gt;&gt; ---------------------------------------------------------------------&gt;
commands, e-mail: httpclient-user-help@jakarta.apache.org&gt;&gt;---------------------------------------------------------------------To
e-mail: httpclient-user-help@jakarta.apache.org===============================================================National
Australia Group Europe Limited (Company Number 02108635, Registered Office 88 Wood Street,
London EC2V 7QQ) (NAGE) is a subsidiary of National Australia Bank Limited (an Australian
registered company). The following UK companies are authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority: Clydesdale Bank PLC (trading as Clydesdale Bank and
Yorkshire Bank), MLC Savings Limited, MLC Trust Management Company Limited, Clydesdale Bank
Insurance Brokers Limited, Yorkshire Bank Financial Services Limited, National Australia Insurance
Services Limited and Custom Fleet Limited.The views and opinions expressed in this email may
not reflect the views and opinions of any member of the group of which NAGE forms part. The
information contained in this message is confidential and may also be privileged. It is intended
only for the addressee named above. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration
of this message is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee (or responsible for delivery
of the message to the addressee), please notify the originator immediately by return message
and destroy the original message. This message and any attachments have been scanned for viruses
prior to leaving the NAGE network. However, NAGE does not guarantee the security of this message
and will not be responsible for any
damages arising as a result of any virus being passed on or arising from any alteration of
this message by a third party. NAGE may monitor emails sent to and from the NAGE network.

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.