From Steven Terrell <Steven.Terr...@guideworkstv.com>
Subject RE: max connections with MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:33:07 GMT
Roland,
   I had the max connections set. I thought I had the max per host set using
HttpConnectionManagerParams.setDefaultMaxConenctionsPerHost, but that didn't
seem to do the trick. I then used
HttpConnectionManagerParams.setMaxConnectionsPerHost, and that worked.

   Thank you for the tips!

--Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Weber [mailto:ROLWEBER@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 1:15 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: max connections with MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager

Hello Steve,

there are two important parameters:
- max connections in total
- max connections per host

Since you are hitting a single host, you have to increase both.

cheers,
  Roland

Steven Terrell <Steven.Terrell@guideworkstv.com>
28.06.2005 21:16
Please respond to
"HttpClient User Discussion"

"Httpclient-User-List (httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org)"
<httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
max connections with MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager

   I am using the MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager to manage a set of
connections to a Tomcat servlet. I am wondering if I am really getting all
of the connections I have asked for. I have called setMaxConnections with
value of 100. I am assuming the connection manager will manage up to 100
simultaneous connections to Tomcat. The servlet team has configured Tomcat
to accept this many connections. I am running on a dual processor system
with RedHat ES 3.
   When I run netstat -tlpva, I see only two connections with an
ESTABLISHED
state. There are at most 24 other connections in a FIN_WAIT2 state. I am
running my application with between 100 and 250 threads. The threads are
kept busy with a work queue, so I should have up to 250 threads asking the
connection manager for a connection (no idle threads.)
   So, my question: should I be seeing more established connections? Am I
interpreting the setMaxConnections call correctly? Or do I need to also
call
the setDefaultMaxConnectionsPerHost method?

Steve