From Steven Terrell <Steven.Terr...@guideworkstv.com>
Subject Unusual delay running under Microsoft Virtual PC
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:24:55 GMT
Platform: Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3, running under Microsoft Virtual PC
on XP

I am experiencing an unusual problem when running httpclient apps when the
host OS is running under Microsoft Virtual PC. I consistently get a 20
second delay from PostMethod.execute(). When I run the same application on a
'real' OS, I don't experience the delay. For testing I am using the PostXML
example from the HttpClient web site. Here's part of the log I captured,
which shows the 20 second delay:
2005-05-31 15:50:42  org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection DEBUG -
enter HttpConnection.open()
2005-05-31 15:50:42  org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection DEBUG -
Open connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
2005-05-31 15:51:02  org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase DEBUG -
enter HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpState, HttpConnection)

My first inclination is to blame Virtual PC, but so far no other
applications have had a problem. I can run a browser from the virtual Linux,
and get a quick response from the same Tomcat servlet I am accessing using
PostXML.

I am not expecting a fix, but any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

--Steve