From "Sambaiah, Vishwas" <vishwas.samba...@citigroup.com>
Subject RE: Wierd results when writing response headers to browser
Date Mon, 09 May 2005 14:23:15 GMT
Roland,

Ofcourse this is not an HttpClient problem! It works impeccably for me and the developers
have done a great job on that one!!!

Sorry for quoting my issue out of context, but yeah it is a standalone proxy "like" application.
Yes, you are right that I should read the RFC carefully again. Even I was thinking the same
that the headers may look a little different for proxies. Thanks a bunch again.

Regards
Vish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO GO FAR, TO FIND WHAT IS CLOSEST TO YOU

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Weber [mailto:ROLWEBER@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 10:18 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: Wierd results when writing response headers to browser

Hello Vish,

first of all, this does not sound like an HttpClient problem.
Second, you are very unspecific about what you actually do.
What does "HttpClient" mean in your sequence diagramm?
Is it a standalone program that uses HttpClient to act as a
proxy? Or is it a servlet (in which case you cannot send
back headers by writing them to the response body)?

If it's a servlet, have a look at the Servlet API to see how
headers can be sent back to the client. If it's a standalone
program, check whether any content-length fields match
the size of the data you are writing. Make sure that you apply
the encodings listed in the transfer-encoding header.

In general, it is not as easy as it may sound to implement
an HTTP proxy. You should study the RFC about HTTP/1.1
*very* carefully. Search for every occurrence of "proxy"
there. And check out which of the headers are valid only
for a single hop rather than the end-to-end communication.

hope that helps,
  Roland

"Sambaiah, Vishwas" <vishwas.sambaiah@citigroup.com>
09.05.2005 15:38
Please respond to
"HttpClient User Discussion"

"HttpClient User Discussion" <httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Wierd results when writing response headers to browser

Hi,

Sorry to be posting this again but I am in dire need of some suggestions.

In a simple request-response sequel between the browser --> HttpClient
--> Host, I read the response headers (prepend it with StatusLine), the
response body as bytes and write it back to the browser (which
originated the requests) in that order. I have ensures per RFC that CRLF
follows each response header and an additional one at the end of
response headers.

I continuously get Connection Reset By Peer exception if I write the
response to the browser. If I dont write the response headers,
everything works just fine except that there are some websites I cannot
access which set cookies/ create URLs using Javascripts. I guess I have
hit a dead end thinking on this....Thoughts? Suggestions? Appreciate
your time in advance.

--------------------
here 'client' is a class where I instantiate HttpClient, 'out' is
browser socket
    String responseHeaders = client.getResponseHeaders(); (This is
parsed string)
    if(responseHeaders != null)
        out.write(responseHeaders.getBytes());
       System.out.println("CUSTOM LOG :: Response Headers = " +
responseHeaders);
    byte data[] = new byte[2000];
    int count;
    while (( count  = in.read(data)) > 0)
    {
     // Send bytesto client
      out.write(data,0,count);
     }
        System.out.println("CUSTOM LOG :: Response Body = " +
responseBody);
    }
    String responseFooters = client.getResponseFooters();
       if(responseFooters != null)
        out.write(responseFooters.getBytes());
       System.out.println("CUSTOM LOG :: Response Footers = " +
responseFooters);

Much Thanks,
Vish