From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handling of HTTP error code 401
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:50:28 GMT
On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 13:19 +0300, Riad Souissi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In case the HTTPClient is set up to preserve Cookies, I have the
> following problem:
>
> - Sometimes, HTTPClient presents a cookie which is not valid anymore in
> the target HTTP server (because it timed out, or the server cleaned up
> some sessions or the server restarted, etc).
> - The HTTP server returns HTTP 401 error code
> - The HTTPClient re-attemps to authenticate, but still re-use the same
> cookie id.
> - All subsequent executes that involve the HTTPConnection which has this
> cookie will fail, until the Cookies are expired in the HTTPClient.
> - I thought about catching the 401 code on top of the HTTPClient and
> cleanup the Cookie my self. The problem is that I do not know which
> Cookie ID has a problem and from which HTTPConnection object.
>
> My guess/suggestions is that the HTTPClient could be made to re-set the
> Cookie from the HTTPConnection object it is currently using when it
> receives HTTP 401 code and it had already provided the correct
> Authentication credentials before (which is my case since I use BASIC
> and setAuthenticationPreemptive=true).

Riad,

For what it's worth, in my opinion this assumption is application
specific. The stock version of HttpClient can't (and should not) know
which cookie represents a session token, and should make no attempts to
invalidate it. It should be trivial to implement a custom handler on top
of HttpClient that clears HttpState upon receipt of 401 status code

Oleg