From Oliver Köll <...@newbase.de>
Subject Stale connection checking broken in 3.0 beta 1
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:46:06 GMT
Hi,

today i tried to upgrade from 3.0a1 to 3.0b1 and ran into problems with
stale connections throwing SocketExceptions on me (which did not happen
  with alpha 1).

I think the problem for this can be found in HttpConnection:

   public boolean closeIfStale() throws IOException {
     if (used && isOpen && isStale()) {
       LOG.debug("Connection is stale, closing...");
       close();
       return true;
     }
     return false;
   }

staleness is only checked if used = true, but there is no code in
HttpConnection that sets the used flag. In other words: used is always
false and isStale() is never called.

Cheers, Oliver