hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Using SLF4J as a logging facade; Re: Disagreement on Log4J2
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2017 09:09:05 GMT
Folks

It is going to be unpleasant but we need to revisit a highly
contentious issue of the choice of a logging APIs for HttpClient 5.0.

I personally like Log4J2 and generally am a satisfied user of the
toolkit. However, Log4J2 logging facade APIs did accumulate a lot of
stuff that in my opinion should not have been there in the first place.
 This bothers me.

A more immediate problem with Log4J2, though, is that its logging APIs
do not play nicely with Android. Whether or not this is Log4J2 fault is
not for me to say but presently HttpClient 5.0 is incompatible with
Android due to its dependency on Log4J2 logging APIs. It is also
unclear whether this incompatibility could be resolved and when. See LO
G4J2-2133 [1] for details.

At this point while HttpClient 5.0 is still ALPHA we could switch to
SLF4J and personally think we should. Log4J2 would still be the
preferred and the default toolkit for HttpClient 5.0 though the logging
interface would be SLF4J, not Log4J2 logging APIs.

Please share your thoughts.

Oleg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-2133