hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Jenkins and Maven builds using a different JDK
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2017 12:42:45 GMT
It looks as though the Maven toolchains.xml file has been set up for
most of the JDKs on Jenkins.

This means it should be possible to run Maven using whatever JDK
version Jenkins wants - which can change - but still compile/test
using a possibly different fixed JDK version.

One way to to do this is to add the following profile:

    <profile>
      <id>toolchain</id>
      <build>
        <plugins>
          <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-toolchains-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>1.1</version>
            <configuration>
              <toolchains>
                <jdk>
                  <version>${maven.compiler.source}</version>
                </jdk>
              </toolchains>
            </configuration>
            <executions>
              <execution>
                <goals>
                  <goal>toolchain</goal>
                </goals>
              </execution>
            </executions>
          </plugin>
        </plugins>
      </build>
    </profile>

This could be activated based on the presence of toolchains.xml, e.g.

<activation>
  <file>
    <exists>${user.home}/.m2/toolchains.xml</exists>
  </file>
</activation>

If developers did not have a toolchains.xml file set up the profile
would be ignored.

Ideally this should be set up in the parent POM, but for testing it
would make sense to temporarily add it to one of the components.

I am happy to do so if you let me know which one is most suitable.
Ideally one which currently requires JDK 1.6+