hc-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Sedding <jsedd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!
Date Mon, 15 May 2017 09:54:56 GMT
Force pushing is considered a bad practice in Git for good reasons,
thus rewriting history of published branches is IMHO a no-go. It makes
everybody's life harder (and developers less experienced with Git may
not be able to integrate the rewritten history at all).

Don't get me wrong. I do a lot of rebasing locally because I
appreciate a commit history that tells a story (i.e. commits should be
intentional, logical units, not accidental bits of work).

Could we perhaps achieve a pretty history by enforcing a
review-then-commit workflow? That way we can have temporary feature
branches (which may be deleted or force pushed in my book), work out
the history and only merge to master (or the respective release
branch) when we're happy with the change and the history.

Regards
Julian