hc-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Sedding <jsedd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git policies and practices
Date Fri, 19 May 2017 13:14:03 GMT
Hi Oleg

As I explained in the thread branched from this one, I fear that
rewriting public history will irritate/alienate potential contributors
as well as existing committers.

In my opinion deterring contributors is a hefty price to pay in order
to satisfy your desire for an immaculate public history.

As I understand it, you "need" the clean public history in order to
create the release notes. Is that correct?

I suggested to base the release notes on JIRA issues instead. Is this
not possible? If yes, why?

We can already fully control if a PR is merged or not, so we are only
talking about committers spoiling the history. I believe we should be
able to encourage and teach a relatively small group of people to
improve their habits. Your threat of a veto suggests that you are more
pessimistic about this, which makes me sad, especially should you be
right.

My strong preference is to trust the circle of committers instead of
rewriting public history.

Regards
Julian