hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpAsyncExpectationVerifier question
Date Sat, 20 May 2017 18:10:25 GMT
On May 20, 2017 11:02 AM, "Oleg Kalnichevski" <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

On Sat, 2017-05-20 at 10:52 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org
> >
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2017-05-20 at 09:52 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > > OK, cool, my next issue (in the same method) is that the verifier
> > > is
> > > NOT
> > > called for all requests, which is a bug for my use case. I can
> > > see
> > > that it
> > > is only called for HttpEntityEnclosingRequest so I cannot verify
> > > all
> > > requests coming in!
> > >

> > Expect-continue handshake applies to entity enclosing methods only.
> > That is why I think changes you have made to HttpClient 4.6 is a
> > mistake.
> >

> Hi Oleg,
>
> OK, I see, so that change does not site well with 100 (Continue)
> Status.
> That should be back on the table then.
>
> But here, I'm not talking about 100 (Continue) Status, I'm talking
> about
> using HttpAsyncExpectationVerifier for the general case of
> "verifying"
> anything that comes in, not just the 100 use case.
>
> It's not clear to me based on the Javadoc for
> HttpAsyncExpectationVerifier
> that it exists solely to implement 100 (Continue) Status behavior.
>
> May you please clarify?

Gary,

HttpAsyncExpectationVerifier was designed to solely implement the
expect-continue handshake and thus it only applies to the entity
closing methods.

I looked at the javadocs. Yes, they do not state that clearly enough.

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for the clarification.

What do you think about providing a similar hook for general purpose
validation of incoming requests?

Gary

Oleg