hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient 5 dependency on log4j2
Date Mon, 01 May 2017 16:05:07 GMT
I'd be happy to.

Gary

On May 1, 2017 7:43 AM, "Oleg Kalnichevski" <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

Gary,

I think it should take me another week or two at most to prepare
HttpClient 5.0a2 and put it on vote.

I anticipate there will likely be a lot of people unhappy about us
replacing Commons Logging with log4j2 instead of slf4j.

I think it would help a lot to preempt such criticism by preparing a
document or updating our existing logging guide [1] with a simple
statement as to why log4j2 has been chosen over slf4j and explaining
how log4j2 API can act as a logging facade to other logging toolkits
much like slf4j and how logging appenders could be redirected to slf4j
APIs.

Would you have some spare cycles to look into that?

Oleg

[1] http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-5.0.x/logging.html