hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient 5 dependency on log4j2
Date Tue, 02 May 2017 21:21:25 GMT
Hi Oleg,

I updated the documentation for Log4j 2.

Note that I am unsure on some of the logger names since so much of the
packaging has changed from 4 to 5. In fact, I left most of the logger names
in the JUL example section as is.

Can you review please?

Thank you,
Gary

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be happy to.
>
> Gary
>

> On May 1, 2017 7:43 AM, "Oleg Kalnichevski" <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Gary,
>
> I think it should take me another week or two at most to prepare
> HttpClient 5.0a2 and put it on vote.
>
> I anticipate there will likely be a lot of people unhappy about us
> replacing Commons Logging with log4j2 instead of slf4j.
>
> I think it would help a lot to preempt such criticism by preparing a
> document or updating our existing logging guide [1] with a simple
> statement as to why log4j2 has been chosen over slf4j and explaining
> how log4j2 API can act as a logging facade to other logging toolkits
> much like slf4j and how logging appenders could be redirected to slf4j
> APIs.
>
> Would you have some spare cycles to look into that?
>

> Oleg
>
> [1] http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-5.0.x/logging.html

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action