hc-dev mailing list archives

From Bindul Bhowmik <bindulbhow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git repo naming
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 19:12:27 GMT
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Michael Osipov <michaelo@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 2017-05-08 um 15:51 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>> According to Daniel Gruno's comment we need to keep the existing repo
>> names "...the existing github mirror should be retained as is when we
>> switch over, git does some magic there..."
>>
>> I guess we have no choice as far as HttpCore and HttpClient go.
>

> That's pretty bad actually, but we have to accept this. I asked Daniel for a
> precise example.
>
>> HttpCore -> httpcore
>> HttpClient -> httpclient

[Not a committer, so just a user comment]

While, it may be required to create the repositories using that name,
I think infra should be able to preserve the repositories and rename
them after they are created (if they can't already do it before the
migration). For instance, every time a repo is created for an
incubator project, repositories use the format
incubator-<project>-<repo>, but when the project graduates, the repos
get renamed to <project>-<repo>.

Also, since httpcore and httpclient are already mirrored on git.a.o
and github, wouldn't it be easier to rename/move the mirrors to
git-wip-us.a.o and mark svn ro (and of course move the notifications,
etc.) rather than creating brand new repos and running svn-to-git
migration again?

Bindul