hc-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Osipov <micha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Do not commit to HttpCore SVN!
Date Mon, 15 May 2017 14:18:34 GMT
Am 2017-05-15 um 16:00 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 15:18 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

>> Am 2017-05-15 um 15:05 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
>>> I have _no_ intention of policing other committers. It is
>>> emotionally
>>> cheaper for me to take time to clean things up and than to hold all
>>> those conversations about policies.
>>
>> But why do you want to do the extra work to clean up somebody's else
>> mess? A project team needs to agree on some standards and rules
>> making
>> life easier for everyone -- the project members as well as our
>> clients
>> reading the log and using the software.
>>
>> A project won't run w/o rules. It is pretty discouring for every a
>> lot
>> of devs if someone else does not stick to the rules and produces
>> garbage
>> commits.
>>

> (1) You see. Those are not garbage commits. They are just chaotic. Some
> people work like that.

I wasn't referring to the work itself, but how people work with a SCM.
Trunk looks terrible. Impossible to do a bisect.

> (2) I personally rather deal with people who are interested in writing
> code than those people who are interested in setting rules.

What benefit do you have if it is hard to follow the code paths? How
much is "good" code worth if you don't have proper documentation? Even
if you have to constantly clean up their mess just like mom did?

I see the log as a documentation of our work. At the end, good code does
not help if it cannot be properly located by others. I still think that
all committers should help the RM to do as little as possible and not
more than necessary.

Michael