hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git policies and practices
Date Fri, 19 May 2017 13:30:07 GMT
On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 15:14 +0200, Julian Sedding wrote:
> Hi Oleg
>
> As I explained in the thread branched from this one, I fear that
> rewriting public history will irritate/alienate potential
> contributors
> as well as existing committers.
>

> In my opinion deterring contributors is a hefty price to pay in order
> to satisfy your desire for an immaculate public history.

ah, please, let us not start over again. Rebasing is a problem only for
projects that have long standing forks maintained by external parties,
like Linux kernel project. We do _not_ have external forks maintained
externally as far as I know. The rest is just subjective speculations.

> As I understand it, you "need" the clean public history in order to
> create the release notes. Is that correct?
>
> I suggested to base the release notes on JIRA issues instead. Is this
> not possible? If yes, why?

Because the commit log is the _only_ _authoritative_ representation of
the project state.

I do pretty much all the heaving lifting for the project. Please do not
make me raise a bloody JIRA for every bloody commit. You do not get
enough of raising tickets at work? I do.

The problem immediately goes away as soon as people start using release
branches responsibly.

Oleg