hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git repo naming
Date Tue, 09 May 2017 07:38:05 GMT
On Mon, 2017-05-08 at 13:12 -0600, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:

> [Not a committer, so just a user comment]
>
> While, it may be required to create the repositories using that name,
> I think infra should be able to preserve the repositories and rename
> them after they are created (if they can't already do it before the
> migration). For instance, every time a repo is created for an
> incubator project, repositories use the format
> incubator-<project>-<repo>, but when the project graduates, the repos
> get renamed to <project>-<repo>.

Hi Bindul

Yes, this would probably be the best course of action.

> Also, since httpcore and httpclient are already mirrored on git.a.o
> and github, wouldn't it be easier to rename/move the mirrors to
> git-wip-us.a.o and mark svn ro (and of course move the notifications,
> etc.) rather than creating brand new repos and running svn-to-git
> migration again?

This is actually the process recommended by infra.

I am not going to re-run svn-to-git again. I have a local Git repo
which is essentially an exact mirror of the SVN repository. I have been
using that repo to commit to SVN for years.

Cheers

Oleg