hc-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New features / new APIs in patch releases (x.y.Z)
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2017 13:07:21 GMT
On Mar 19, 2017 1:38 PM, "Oleg Kalnichevski" <olegk@apache.org> wrote:

On Sun, 2017-03-19 at 08:55 +0100, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> - Do we have any idea of our user's expectations? Is HC knows for
> adhering
> to Semantic Versioning? Have we done so in the past?

We have been using Semantic Versioning since HC 4.0.

> - Why not just make the version numbers evolve following what the
> code
> does? If we add new APIs and we are backward compatible, then that
> can be a
> minor release 4.5.x -> 4.6.0 for example. If we do that very often,
> then we
> can end up with versions like 4.15.0 and that's fine. We can avoid
> wringing
> our hands when we want a maintenance version like a 4.5.3 -> 4.5.4 to
> contain new APIs.
>
> - Are there hidden costs to releasing minor releases as opposed to
> maintenance releases? Right now, we use branches it seems. We can
> keep
> doing that or just have a 4.x branch until we need another specific
> 4.x.y
> branch.

The only difference between a minor release and a maintenance release
is that a minor release should have alpha and beta phases in order to
allow for users feedback. If we skip alpha and beta phases, there is
really no difference.

Strictly speaking it seems like we know we should cut a new minor release
for what I recently did and perhaps this Windows related security stuff.

Pragmatically, it seems like this is just more work for you and we should
give you wiggle room to avoid extra hoops to keep getting our wares out ;-)

Gary

Oleg