hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OSGi vs. not
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2016 10:04:20 GMT
On Thu, 2016-12-22 at 12:51 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> WRT to the VOTE and
>
>  224816183f20c871d453b648d465a813 httpcomponents-core-5.0-
> alpha2-osgi-bin.zip
>  b8947275fe21cde3e99ee554b9464a95 httpcomponents-core-5.0-alpha2-src.zip
>
> Why do we have an OSGi download? What's the diff?
>
> Gary

There are two main distinctions
(1) OSGi bundles usually pull in several Maven artifacts
(2) They also include OSGi specific functionality such as OSGi container
integration. This is presently not the case with HttpCore but is
certainly the case with HttpClient.

I am aware that many projects simply add OSGi metadata to their Maven
artifacts and do not bother with OSGi specific bundles. I am perfectly
fine with revising our approach to OSGi support as long as someone is
willing to make it consistent across all our projects.

I often cannot help feeling that if we are not able to maintain our OSGi
stuff properly we would be better off dropping it entirely.

Oleg