hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Collaborate implementing HTTP 2.0 support - HTTPCORE-432
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:02:16 GMT
On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 05:46 +0100, Francisco Carriedo Scher wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Don't know if migrating to Log4J2
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCORE-436) would override
> the task I was working in (enabling debug logging on integration
> tests). Anyway, as I don't know how long migrating might take and the
> work was already done for httpcore5 module I have committed it to my
> fork
> (https://github.com/fcarriedos/httpcore/commit/46ba8b0c408cfb67d0ed6395c675b8bd2f6fa131).
If you consider it correct and want me to extend it to the other modules, just say it.

Francisco

This will certainly conflict with Gary's changes. I had no idea you were
going to introduce Log4j as a dependency. What you have done looks
perfectly fine to me but going forward we should be using Log4j2 given
that it provides an abstract logging API with an option of using
different logging back-ends.

> Question: I determined which packages to enable logging for with the
> shell command below (output attached). To me this should find any
> class needing to yield debug log lines. Could somebody comment on
> this? (Correct, incorrect, suggestions?). Thanks!
> $ httpcore/httpcore5$ reset && egrep -Ri "log" ./* | grep java | grep debug

Looks correct to me.

> DEADLOCK: when I completed this a month ago, enabling debug logging
> resulted in a dead-lock in class "TestSyncHttp.java". This test class
> is not present anymore and the deadlock does not appear now, but I
> don't know if this could be another good reason to work on updating
> the logging framework (HTTPCORE-436), as I dug a bit and looked like a
> known issue for Log4J 1.2. I can reproduce the deadlock and provide
> more detail if needed.

More reason to move to Log4j2.

> Meanwhile I will have a look to testing the HTTP/2 transport with
> popular web servers as you suggested. Please confirm if this is still
> pending or somebody already is taking care of it.

I confirm. This is still by far more important than anything else.

Oleg