hc-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Sedding <jsedd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HC 5.0 scope and design decisions
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2016 08:15:02 GMT
Hi all

I am not familiar with log4j2, but have used slf4j extensively over
the last years.

As I understand log4j2 clearly separates its API from the
implementation. If this is true, are there any major benefits to using
the log4j2 API over the slf4j API?

If this is not the case, and the benefits of log4j2 are predominantly
in the implementation, then it may be sensible to code against the
slf4j API and leave the choice of the implementation to the
deployment. I.e. it would be possible to use log4j2 as the logging
implementation via its slf4j binding[0].

I am sure others, especially Gary, can provide more qualified opinions here.

Regards
Julian

[0] https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/log4j-slf4j-impl/index.html